The objective of this policy is to establish criteria for the naming of Kaskaskia College property and endowments, and to honor individuals and organizations in recognition of their importance in the growth and development of the institution.
Naming opportunities are recognized as being integral to the fund-raising process and an important form of donor recognition in addition to recognizing individuals who have had a significant impact on the development of Kaskaskia College. As such, naming opportunities may be made available at the discretion of the Kaskaskia College Board of Trustees.
The following principles are relevant to the naming or designation of facilities, campus areas, streets, walkways, rooms, etc., and all properties to include endowments of Kaskaskia College:
- Names and designations may be applied as defined in this policy only if:
- The name is meant to commemorate an individual significant to the founding of Kaskaskia College or Centralia Township Junior College; or
- The individual has, in the judgment of the Board of Trustees, contributed substantially, on a comprehensive level, to the development and enhancement of Kaskaskia College; or
- The individual, or an appropriately defined commemorative designee of that individual, has contributed substantial worth to the development of the Kaskaskia College environment and/or its students and staff. Final evaluation of “substantial worth” other than the monetary guidelines set forth in this policy is the sole prerogative of the Kaskaskia College Board of Trustees.
- Departmental Endowments
- All recognitions shall be organized through the Kaskaskia College Office of Institutional Advancement. Only the Board of Trustees may assign a name or title to College property in accordance with this policy and established procedures. Such designations are considered permanent, non-rotational, and may be amended or changed only upon formal resolution by the Kaskaskia College Board of Trustees.
- The College values and will protect its integrity, autonomy, and academic freedom, and does not accept gifts when a condition of acceptance would compromise these fundamental principles. The College may accept or decline to accept any gift or donation based on that, which is in the best interest of the College. The College does not accept gifts that require it to provide any valuable consideration to the donor or anyone designated by the donor, such as employment in the College, enrollment in a College program, or a College procurement contract. The College also does not accept gifts that involve discrimination of any type.
- Unless subject to an agreement to use a gift for a specific purpose, gifts are received unconditionally and may be used for such purposes the College determines is an area of need. The College is committed to the highest standards of donor stewardship and accountability and demonstrates this competency through annual audits.
- Gifts are made to the Kaskaskia College Foundation that holds a 501 (C) (3) organizational status with the Internal Revenue Service. The College works in cooperation with the Kaskaskia College Foundation on the processing and application of gifts.
- The President of Kaskaskia College shall implement this policy in such a manner as to ensure involvement of the appropriate department and to ensure college-wide aesthetics, qualitative standards, and optimum donor support.
- The Board of Trustees shall approve the designation of Endowed Chairs/Distinguished Professorships and Named Lectureship Series naming opportunities.
- The Board of Trustees shall approve the donated values placed on property for naming rights and set in the procedures along with any new property that may be developed.
Approval History: Replaces Property Naming Policy 6.6, Approved February 20, 2003, and March 17, 2011