I. The following procedures shall be followed in the hiring process. The procedures are designed to help direct the process for searching and selecting full-time and regular part-time personnel, except the College President. The hiring process for the College President shall be conducted at the Board of Trustees’ discretion, using procedures developed by the Board. All hiring processes shall treat all candidates fairly and equally. Further all processes shall be consistently applied.
A. Upon receiving a letter of resignation or retirement, the department shall notify the HR and President’s offices. Such requests from full-time employees shall be considered by the Board, and a transition plan will be developed until a position is filled. Further, all vacancies will be considered for elimination, restructuring, and/or amendment of duties, prior to any advertising.
B. New full-time positions must be approved by the President and Board of Trustees prior to any advertising or announcement
C. Initiation of the Hiring Process
The immediate supervisor of the position to be filled will initiate the hiring process by completing a Personnel Request form (available in Human Resources) and obtaining the appropriate administrative signatures, including the Dean, Vice President, and President. Once the Personnel Request form is completed, it should be forwarded, along with the job description (as outlined in #2 below), to HR for processing.
D. Job Description
For every new or replacement position vacancy, a job description will be prepared and updated prior to any advertising or announcement. Each job description, after being updated, will be signed by the appropriate Dean, Vice President and the President.
E. Advertising/Announcement of Positions
All new and replacement vacancies will be announced by one or more of the following means:
1. Locally—advertising and announcement of position vacancies will be in local newspapers covering the area.
2. Regional/National—advertising and announcement of position vacancies will be regionally and through national publications.
3. Internet Services—all position vacancies will be listed on various job nets for which the College subscribes.
4. On campus—all position vacancies will be posted at various sites throughout the campus, on the College web site, and other internal publications.
5. Union Contracts—position vacancies will be posted in accordance with any agreed to contract language.
F. Other Means—position vacancies will be posted at other appropriate sites such as trade publications, other colleges or agencies, etc.
• Each respective Vice President and the HR director will jointly determine the form of advertising and ways in which such position vacancy will be announced. Advice and direction will be provided for various positions by the President and Board of Trustees.
G. Job Description Changes in a Currently Occupied Position
The advertising and selection process may be waived in a situation where a job
description is being changed and such position is currently occupied. In this situation, the person affected may assume the position as outlined in the revised job description.
The College reserves the right to waive the advertising and selection process and transfer a current employee into another open position. The employee must meet the minimum qualifications for the open position. The decision to transfer an employee in this manner shall be made by the HR Director and the appropriate Vice Presidents and approved by the President and the Board of Trustees where applicable. All such transfers will be subject to applicable collective bargaining agreements.
I. Applicant Materials
All applicants will be required to submit a cover letter, resume, and an unofficial copy of transcripts (where applicable). Other qualifying credentials will be requested as appropriate for each search. Certified (official) transcripts should be sent directly to the HR office from each issuing institution for the recommended candidate, ideally prior to action.
J. Search/Screening/Selection Committees
A special ad hoc committee will be formed for each full-time or regular part-time vacancy. The composition and role of each committee is as follows:
1. Each respective Vice President and the HR director will jointly agree on the composition of the committee.
2. Each committee shall be representative of the area in which the vacancy exists. Also, it is desirable that each committee include administrative/professional staff, faculty, and support staff.
3. Each committee will have a charge to review applicant credentials in accordance with the position criteria that is listed in the job description,
4. determine finalists to be interviewed, conduct interviews, check references, and determine a recommendation.
5. All applicant materials, including letters of recommendation on behalf of a candidate, shall be reviewed by the committee during the search/screening process.
6. Each committee member will complete an evaluation form using a point system in evaluating the credentials to the criteria. This process will be used for the initial screening and also for the interviews.
7. Each committee will select a chairperson. The chairperson will prepare the recommendation to include rationale for the selection.
Those candidates being interviewed must all meet or exceed the criteria listed, unless circumstances warrant a waiver of the criteria. The committee shall form a recommendation that is based on experience, education, interview results, and in general, who is the overall best individual for the position. Thus, the interview process will determine attitude, verify abilities, confirm philosophy, determine human relations, teamwork, communication, and problem solving skills, self-starter abilities, and other position specific criteria, and it will assist the committee to determine who is the best qualified candidate for the position.
The chairperson of the committee shall prepare the formal recommendation outlining the reasons/rationale for the committee’s recommendation, and submit it to the Human Resources office. The recommendation, along with a hire summary, will be forwarded to the President for review.
L. Role of HR Department
An HR representative shall be responsible for overseeing the process to include assuring all candidates are considered fairly and evenly, to make sure EEO and other legal requirements are adhered to, and to ensure all College procedures and policies are followed. The HR representative is an ex-officio member of each committee and is to be neutral relative to all applicants. The HR representative will also act as a resource person regarding the College and fringe benefits.
M. Role of President and Board of Trustees
The President may interview the committee’s recommendation at his discretion. If the President approves the committee’s recommendation, it will be submitted to the Board of Trustees for consideration where required. In addition to the recommended candidate, the names and credentials of at least three other finalists, where available, will be submitted to the Board. Full-time recommendations require the approval of the Board. Members of the Trustees will serve on the search and screening committee for Dean and Vice President positions and any other positions where it is deemed appropriate. Additionally, the full Board may interview candidates for Vice President and Dean positions.
N. Role of the Vice President/Dean/Supervisor
The supervisor and the Dean or the Vice President of the position vacancy shall participate with the selection committee process as an equal member of the committee. Thus the supervisor(s) will be a part of the development of a consensus recommendation.
Recommended salary placement will be determined by the appropriate Vice President and the Director of Human Resources, in compliance with applicable collective bargaining agreements and College policies. Before any offer is made to a candidate, the salary must be approved by the President. Such offers for full-time employees are contingent on Board approval.
II. Approved Personnel Meeting With the Board of Trustees
New employees will appear at the monthly Board meeting following the meeting in which a candidate was approved by the Trustees. This will allow the Trustees to meet the person they had approved the previous month.
Approval History: Replaces Selection, Appointment, and Reappointment Procedure 2.16 approved 4/18/2002