The procedures outlined below are required to be followed when classes are cancelled by faculty:
Faculty Teaching on the Main Campus
• All faculty are required to use the KC Class Cancellation Phone Number when cancelling classes. The direct number is 618-545-3399. The toll free number is 1- 800-642-0859 ext. 3399. Within that recording, faculty are required to leave the following information: name, class or classes to be cancelled (require section name and number) or all day and/or evening classes, time and day of classes, location/room number, and work assigned to be completed before the next regularly scheduled class session. During normal business hours, the Dean's Office will monitor the phone line. After 5:00 pm, KC Security will monitor the phone line, post notice that class has been cancelled, and will contact appropriate IT staff for external notifications.
• The class cancellation is placed on the KC website, as well as the work assigned to be completed before the next regularly scheduled class session.
• A text message is sent via KCAlerts to students that have chosen to opt-in for the alert service and have selected their appropriate instructors.
• Additionally, a sign is placed on the classroom door indicating the class cancellation and work to be completed before the next regularly scheduled class session.
• Full-time faculty are required to follow up the absence by filling out a Paid/Unpaid Leave Request Form and the Campus Closing/Class Session Cancellation Form and directing the forms to the respective Dean's Office.
• The Dean's Office works with faculty to ensure these forms are processed in a timely manner after the class cancellation.
• Full-time faculty members are expected to document on the Campus Closing/Class Cancellation Form how the content missed will be made up within the rest of the scheduled term.
• Copies of the Paid/Unpaid Leave Request Form are kept on file in the Human Resources office and the Dean's Office.
• Copies of the Campus Closing/Class Cancellation Form are filed with a copy of the Paid/Unpaid Leave Request Form and stored in the Dean's Office.
Faculty Teaching at the Education Centers
• Faculty teaching at the Education Centers are required to contact the appropriate Education Center when cancelling classes. Upon receipt of the phone call from the faculty member, Education Center staff are asked to call 618-545-3399 so that the cancellation information can be placed on the KC Class Cancellation link on the KC homepage.
• The staff at the Education Centers will be required to leave: name, faculty's name, class or classes to be cancelled (require section name and number) or all day and/or evening classes, time and day of classes, location/room number, and work assigned to be completed before the next regularly scheduled class session.
• Faculty at the Education Centers are required to complete the Campus Closing/Class Cancellation Form after a cancelled class and submit to the Education Center Director. The Education Center Director forwards these forms to the Dean’s office on the main campus. This form documents the reason for the absence and how the class content will be made up. This is kept on file at the Education Center and in the Dean’s Office.
Replaces Class Cancellation Procedure 3.16P Approved August 18, 2011