- Participation in the Sick Leave Bank is open to any non-faculty employee of Kaskaskia College who is eligible to receive sick leave benefits. Faculty members may participate in the faculty sick leave bank, pursuant to the KCFT collective bargaining agreement. Participation in the bank is voluntary and may be used only for the illness or injury of the employee.
- Sick Leave Bank hours shall not be utilized if an employee is on disability status with SURS or receiving benefits from workers’ compensation.
- The Sick Leave Bank shall not be used for single day occurrences.
- Sick Leave Bank hours remaining in the Sick Leave Bank at the end of the fiscal year shall roll over into the next fiscal year. After the initial establishment of the Sick Leave Bank, the bank will only be re-opened for donations when the accumulated total equals 240 hours. The Sick Leave Bank shall not operate in a deficit capacity
Upon initial establishment of the Sick Leave Bank, each current non-faculty employee earning vacation or sick leave will be allowed to voluntarily donate the hourly equivalent of one day of vacation or sick leave to the Sick Leave Bank.
Employee Group Hourly Equivalent to One Day
Administrative/Professional Staff 8 hours
KCTOP Staff 8 hours
Non-Union Full-Time Staff 8 hours
Full-Time Carpenter Union Staff 8 hours
Part-Time 30 hour Staff 6 hours (based on daily average of thirty-hour work week)
Part-Time 30 hour Staff Carpenter Union 6 hours (based on daily average of thirty-hour work week)
- Each newly employed non-faculty employee earning vacation or sick leave will be allowed to voluntarily donate the hourly equivalent (established by Section 1 above) of one day of vacation or sick leave to the Sick Leave Bank during the month of July or the month of January.
- Upon initial establishment, the maximum cap of the Sick Leave Bank may equal but cannot exceed the hourly equivalent of one vacation or sick day per eligible employee. Thereafter, the maximum cap of the Sick Leave Bank may equal but cannot exceed the hourly equivalent of one vacation or sick day per eligible employee plus any unused hours carried forward from a previous year.
- Once hours are donated to the Sick Leave Bank, such donation shall be irrevocable. If a member withdraws from the Sick Leave Bank, all donated hours shall be forfeited.
- A member withdrawing from participation in the Sick Leave Bank must submit written notification to the Human Resources Department.
- If a member retires or resigns, all donated hours to the Sick Leave Bank are forfeited to the Sick Leave Bank. A member of the Sick Leave Bank who retires or resigns may donate up to the hourly equivalent of an additional five days to the Sick Leave Bank but such donation cannot exceed the maximum cap. Upon retirement, an individual must apply unused accumulated sick or vacation leave toward service credit with SURS before making a donation of any excess leave to the Sick Leave Bank.
- In order to receive sick leave from the Sick Leave Bank, one an employee must have donated either vacation or sick time to the Sick Leave Bank and must have depleted all of his or her individual vacation, sick, and personal leave before using time from the Sick Leave Bank.
- During the time an individual is on paid sick leave from the Sick Leave Bank, the College continues its contribution toward the employee’s health insurance membership and the employee continues his/her contribution toward the health insurance.
- The maximum time a participant can draw from the sick leave bank is the hourly equivalent of 30 working days (as established in Section 1 above) during a fiscal year (July 1-June 30).
- The granting of sick leave from the Sick Leave Bank shall be subject to approval of the Sick Leave Bank Committee, which will consist of one member from each non-faculty employee group and a Human Resources Representative.
- The Human Resources Office will maintain documentation of donations and usage involving the Sick Leave Bank.
- Each employee desiring to use the Sick Leave Bank shall complete a request form, which will be provided by Human Resources. The written request must be submitted to the Human Resources Office and must be accompanied by a physician’s statement which includes a beginning date of the condition, a description of the illness, injury, etc., and a prognosis for recovery. The Sick Leave Bank Committee will review the request and will notify the employee in writing of the Sick Leave Bank Committee’s decision to grant the leave or not grant the leave.
- All information submitted to the Sick Leave Bank committee shall be kept confidential and separate from personnel files, and shall be used solely for the purpose of granting leave from the sick leave bank.
Approval History: Replacement for Sick Leave Bank Procedure 2.305P Approved 05/16/2002, 09/15/2005