It is the policy of Kaskaskia College (KC) to provide a drug and alcohol free environment and work place as defined by the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 (41 U.S.C. §701, et seq.) and Section 1213 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA) as amended by the Safe and Drug Free Schools and Communities Act of 1994 (20 U.S.C. §7101, et seq.).
KC prohibits students and employees from possessing, using, distributing, dispensing, being under the influence and manufacturing illicit drugs and alcohol on its property. Any students who violate this policy will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including expulsion from the institution. Any employee who violates this policy will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination from the institution.
The KC Board of Trustees and College President may make an exception to this policy to allow alcohol service at non-student related events hosted by the college or the KC Foundation.Application for such an exception must be made in writing to the Office of the President.Upon approval by the Office of the President, notification of said event will be sent to the KC Board of Trustees within 30 days of the event.
The following factors should be taken into consideration when determining whether the sale or service of alcoholic beverages should be permitted on college property or at non-student-related events:
- Whether the event is a student activity or student-related activity;
- Whether the physical setting of the event is conducive to control of alcoholic beverages sales and distribution;
- The ability of the event operator to ensure that the sale or serving of alcoholic beverages and the demeanor of the participants are in accordance with State law and college policies;
- The anticipated attendees at the event and the relative proportion of individuals under the age of 21 to individuals age 21 or older;
- The ability of the venue operator to prevent the sale or distribution of alcoholic beverages to individuals under the age of 21;
- Whether the event prohibits participants from removing alcoholic beverages from the venue; and
- Whether the event prohibits participants from providing their own alcoholic beverages to the venue.
This policy is pursuant to Section 5/6-15 of the Liquor Control Act.
Approval History: Replaces Alcohol on Campus Policy 8.5 Approved October 22, 2018